Monday, November 8, 2010

"The Reigning Queen of Rock & Roll"

There are many things that go hand in hand in this life. For example, ice cream and summer, cookies and milk, eggs and bacon, turkey and Thanksgiving, sandcastles and the beach etc. Just like these, there are certain people and images that for me, go hand in hand with vintage. Maybe these people or things don't objectively fit under the vintage label, but they represent a part of the bigger picture (at least in my minds bigger picture). Ladies and gentlemen I give you my most loved, most adored, most treasured icon:

STEVIE NICKS.

Now I do realize that this is more of a post dealing with my moderate obsession rather than her relationship or direct correlation to vintage (even though she does wear long head scarves) but it still counts considering she inspires me and makes me happy. I cannot tell you how many days and nights I have sorted and cleaned items, searched for rare things like a nerd on the internet for hours, ALL while listening to album after album of Fleetwood Mac or Stevie herself. Its almost on a comparable level of my eating fast food while thrift shopping. They just go together! I can't have it any other way. Finding a cute 60s shift dress= big mac. Posting a new bag online= Tell Me Lies.

A short bio? Why yes of course!

Stephanie Lynn Nicks was born on May 26, 1948 in Phoenix Arizona. Her father Jess Nicks was a struggling country singer who had Nicks performing duets with him by the time she was four years old. She received a Goya guitar for her sixteenth birthday and wrote her first song titled, "I've Loved and I've Lost, I'm Sad But Not Blue." Sheer Genius already at the tender age of sixteen. She went to college for awhile (majoring in Speech Communication, like me!) and dated her Mac partner, Lindsey Buckingham. No doubt their relationship produced some amazing songs via Fleetwood Mac. Umm, Rumors anyone? She actually met Buckingham when she was a Senior in high school. She watched him play a version of "California Dreamin" at a Christian social event and from then on was by his side. True love.

Career-wise, Nicks has outdone herself. 1977s Rumors produced four U.S. top 10 singles including "Dreams" (their only U.S. number one hit) which stayed in the number one spot for 31 weeks! She has produced seven solo albums (yes seven, including the amazing Bella Donna) and has plans to release her eighth (first one 10 years!) on March 1, 2011. I cannot wait for this.

Plain and simple, Stevie Nicks is amazing. She is dreamy. She is beauiful. She is vibrant. She is strong. She is a genuine artist to the core. She is my inspiration and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Taken by, taken by the sky...



All I ever wanted was to know that you were dreaming...


To a room with some lace and paper flowers...


I search only for something I cannot see...


I climbed a mountain and I turned around...




xxx, Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment