Friday, October 22, 2010

Opposites Attract

To begin, I want to thank Crystal for the warm introduction! I am so happy to officially be a part of this. Crystal and I are extremely elated to be embarking on this adventure together, and we’re confident that while we may not see eye-to-eye on some things (shoulder pads, is there such a thing as too many polka-dots, the arguably drab nature of the color brown), we are in perfect harmony when is comes down to core values—and business strategy. And to be perfectly honest, I’d have it no other way. Our diverse tastes, I think, will broaden the appeal of the new Merryweather Vintage. We are not vintage snobs, we are enthusiasts first and foremost. Our love for the styles and design elements of the past runs deep!

This passion is what we want to bring to all of you. I think I can speak for both of us here when I say the feeling of connecting someone with that one perfect vintage item is indescribable. I have been that person (the seeker) too many times to count, and the odds, generally don’t run in your favor. With Merryweather, Crystal and I want to turn those odds around for all you seekers, affordably, of course! You'll also be noticing more information about the items we are selling, as I (ever the research junkie) will be burrowing into the depths of fashion history, emerging with the facts about most of the legit vintage labels we have in stock.

So, who is this new partner? You're probably wondering.... well I think Crystal accurately pinned down the nature of our relationship in her last post. Let me, briefly share a little bit about myself. I am a native Chicagoan who escaped a few years ago to live abroad for one year in London, then moved to New York City before returning to Chicago last spring. Returning to this city was probably one of the best decisions I've made in the last decade.

I have a deep connection to my relatively large extended family on both sides. This, I am positive is where both my love for history and object-related stories, and desire to always be pushing forward and progressing comes from.

My paternal grandmother probably holds the world record for most obscure things packed away for over 50 years! It's quite endearing -- just don't bring it up to my aunt who has been charged with the task of helping her clean out closets in preparation for a move next year. This closet cleaning and the items my grandmother has unburied recently reaffirmed my passion for vintage. Among the old Stinson's Laundry shirtboards and emory boards (self-promotion at it's finest people!!) Nanny withdrew from her treasure-chest a few clothing items that had me in a tizzy when I saw them. Among them: classic rhinestone broaches, necklaces & earrings accompanied by several newspaper articles from the mid-80s declaring a "Rhinestone Renaissance". Nanny is very thorough. Probably my favorite item, though, is a teal wool sweater that fits like a glove. In her high school years, Nanny had two winter wool sweaters, and this was one of them... a garment over 60 years old. I'm determined to make it last, though it's been difficult not to wear it once a week. And last but definitely not least, the A.S. Webster beaver fur cropped coat. Oh, how amazing is that?





My maternal grandmother, always thinking forward and refreshing, does not possess the urge to let objects linger. Oh sure, there are incredible old photos, letters and memorabilia, but Grandma Pat never held on to a dress for more than a couple seasons. I believe it's helped her maintain an amazingly lively attitude and lifestyle.

Combine these two matriarchs, and that's where you'll start to understand where I'm coming from: seeking vintage for the fashion and respecting the connection to a past, but taking care to combine those pieces with the contemporary to create something wholly unique and now... or if I'm lucky, creating something a little ahead of now.

Enough about me, let's get this show on the road! Stay tuned, friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment